A History of Anglo American Lodge
The 1st 100 Years
1887 – 1987
In the year 1886, there was a desire of many English and American brethren to form a Lodge, “with a view to drawing together the bonds of Masonic union existing between the two countries, and to enable Brethren of the two nationalities and of the Dominion of Canada, to meet together for all Masonic work under the Grand Lodge of England.”
The petition to the Grand Master was signed by 37 brethren and recommended by the Worshipful Master and Wardens of Percy Lodge No 198, November 16th, 1886.
The Warrant of Constitution was granted by command of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, then Grand Master, signed by Earl of Latham, Deputy Grand Master, and Shadwell H Clarke, Grand Secretary, dated December 18th, 1886.
The Consecration took place at the Criterion, Piccadilly, on Tuesday 24th March, 1887. The Consecrating Officers were:
W Bro Shadwell H Clarke, PGD, Grand Secretary WM
W Bro Thomas Fenn, President, Board of General Purposes SW
W Bro R Turtle Pigott, PAGDC JW
W Bro Rev J S Browning, PGC Chaplain
W Bro H Trueman Wood, AGDC DC
W Bro Edgar Bowyer, PGSB IG
The first officers of the Lodge were an interesting group of individuals:
Bro Brackstone Baker, PGD – made a Mason in Canada, member of the Colonial Guard WM
Bro Adolphus Clark – merchant, formerly of Boston, USA SW
Bro Frederick Kedge – solicitor JW
Bro Major George Lambert – Silversmith to the Queen by Special Warrant IPM
Bro George Reynolds – Government Official Secretary
Bro Thomas Waller – Consul General of USA at London SD
Bro James Woolley – commercial traveller JD
Bro George H Reynolds – manager at a brass foundry IG
Bro John Skinner – merchant of Jermyn Street Steward
Bro Charles Ralph – merchant Steward
Bro James Woodward – Gun Maker of St James Street Steward
Over 200 Brethren were present at the Consecration, including eminent representatives from many States of America, Canada & other parts of the Empire.
1888
Bros George Reynolds (Sec) & John Skinner (DC) visited Baltimore. The Grand Master of Maryland entrusted to them a silver Loving Cup to present to the Brethren of the Anglo-American Lodge as a token of appreciation of the welcome given to him on his visit to London.
1889
At the September meeting, the Lodge gave its sanction to a petition for the formation of a Royal Arch Chapter, to be called the Anglo-American Chapter.
1897
The Lodge moved from the Criterion to the Hotel Cecil, Strand.
1899
The Royal Arch Chapter surrendered its Charter.
1904
12 initiates presented a banner to the Lodge, as “an expression of the great pleasure they felt in having been initiated into Masonry, and especially in becoming Members of the Anglo-American Lodge.
1908
On Tuesday, March 24th, the first Ladies Festival was held after the 21st Anniversary Meeting of the Lodge. 120 were present.
1912
Anglo-American Lodge Masonic Charities Association formed.
1913
Installation moved to October meeting.
1917
Petition to form a new Royal Arch Chapter was signed, approved and the Chapter consecrated.
1918
Warrant for a Lodge of Instruction applied for and granted.
1919
AA Lodge approved and recommended Petition to the Grand Master for a Warrant to found New Era Lodge, No. 4057. Subsequently, two Grand Daughter Lodges were founded, Motspur No. 6106 (1945) , and Venture Ad Astra No. 8069 (1965).
1923
Anglo-American Lodge became a Hall Stone Lodge of the Masonic Million Memorial Fund.
1930
The Lodge moved to the Café Royal, and became a Patron of Freemason’s Hospital, having become a Founding Lodge in 1921.
1937
Tuesday March 16th was the 50th Jubilee Meeting of the Lodge. Over 150 brethren were present, including some 80 visitors. Although a number of Americans were present, the greater number of the brethren were associated with the fruit markets of Covent Garden, Borough and Spitalfields. A full programme included the working of all three degrees.
1942
Lodge moved to Freemason’s Hall.
1943
There followed 45 years of Freemasonry, undistinguished, but sincere and heartfelt. The records show that many brethren were initiated, promoted and subsequently passed to the Grand Lodge above. As you will see from the example years below, they kept themselves busy.
1949
6 initiations, 5 passings, 5 raisings, 1 promotion to PAGSB, 2 reported deaths, and 1 distinguished overseas visitor from Australia.
1954
9 initiations, 6 passings, 4 raisings, 1 joining member, 1 promotion to PGStB, 1 reported death and 1 distinguished overseas visitor from California.
1959
Masonic regalia and £150, the proceeds from the sale of a motor car, were left to the Lodge by the late W Bro W Pitcher.
1967
The Worshipful Master Charles Hailey passed away. A special fund was organised in his memory, and £23.1.0d was distributed among the various Masonic Institutions, Anglo-American Lodge becoming a Patron Lodge of all the Institutions.
1987
Tuesday 24th March was the Centenary Meeting, attended by RW Bro Mr Registrar John Bradburn, JGW, W Bro H Cazenove, PDGDC, VW Bro Rev Neville Barker Cryer, RW Bro Cdr Michael Higham, Grand Secretary, W Bro John Yeo, AG Pursuivant.
What of the Future?
Since the Lodge Centenary in 1987, Anglo-American has, Like many lodges in London, and for that matter, across the world, been in gradual decline. There are probably many reasons, some avoidable, some not. The Lodge has an interesting history, but largely it has been an ordinary lodge, serving ordinary Freemasons for the past 117 years. The intention of the founders was to engender “ the bonds of Masonic Union existing between” GB & USA. But as we have seen, the Lodge has had little to do with the USA for many years.
True, we had a friendship with the Square & Compasses Club at the USAF base at Mildenhall some 10 years ago. A young American serviceman, Bob Tullgren, was a member for a few years in the 90’s, and we are twinned with Madison Lodge No 5, Wisconson. But by the 50th Jubilee “the greater number of the brethren were associated with the fruit markets of Covent Garden, Borough and Spitalfields”. By 1987, just before the Centenary, the largest grouping in the Lodge was British Transport Police.
Lodges change over the years, and inevitably some Lodges will survive and grow, and some will fail. The present membership of Anglo-American has committed to ensuring that this Lodge continues, hopefully regaining some of its former glory. In doing so, the nature of the Lodge will inevitably change.
There are many things we can and will do. We will try to revive the trans-Atlantic connections, but in the first instance we need joining members, so that we can build. There are many styles of masonry, and we don’t know where we will end up. But whatever Anglo-American Lodge becomes, we will have one aim in view, to please each other and unite in the grand design of being happy and communicating happiness.
1887 – 1987
In the year 1886, there was a desire of many English and American brethren to form a Lodge, “with a view to drawing together the bonds of Masonic union existing between the two countries, and to enable Brethren of the two nationalities and of the Dominion of Canada, to meet together for all Masonic work under the Grand Lodge of England.”
The petition to the Grand Master was signed by 37 brethren and recommended by the Worshipful Master and Wardens of Percy Lodge No 198, November 16th, 1886.
The Warrant of Constitution was granted by command of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, then Grand Master, signed by Earl of Latham, Deputy Grand Master, and Shadwell H Clarke, Grand Secretary, dated December 18th, 1886.
The Consecration took place at the Criterion, Piccadilly, on Tuesday 24th March, 1887. The Consecrating Officers were:
W Bro Shadwell H Clarke, PGD, Grand Secretary WM
W Bro Thomas Fenn, President, Board of General Purposes SW
W Bro R Turtle Pigott, PAGDC JW
W Bro Rev J S Browning, PGC Chaplain
W Bro H Trueman Wood, AGDC DC
W Bro Edgar Bowyer, PGSB IG
The first officers of the Lodge were an interesting group of individuals:
Bro Brackstone Baker, PGD – made a Mason in Canada, member of the Colonial Guard WM
Bro Adolphus Clark – merchant, formerly of Boston, USA SW
Bro Frederick Kedge – solicitor JW
Bro Major George Lambert – Silversmith to the Queen by Special Warrant IPM
Bro George Reynolds – Government Official Secretary
Bro Thomas Waller – Consul General of USA at London SD
Bro James Woolley – commercial traveller JD
Bro George H Reynolds – manager at a brass foundry IG
Bro John Skinner – merchant of Jermyn Street Steward
Bro Charles Ralph – merchant Steward
Bro James Woodward – Gun Maker of St James Street Steward
Over 200 Brethren were present at the Consecration, including eminent representatives from many States of America, Canada & other parts of the Empire.
1888
Bros George Reynolds (Sec) & John Skinner (DC) visited Baltimore. The Grand Master of Maryland entrusted to them a silver Loving Cup to present to the Brethren of the Anglo-American Lodge as a token of appreciation of the welcome given to him on his visit to London.
1889
At the September meeting, the Lodge gave its sanction to a petition for the formation of a Royal Arch Chapter, to be called the Anglo-American Chapter.
1897
The Lodge moved from the Criterion to the Hotel Cecil, Strand.
1899
The Royal Arch Chapter surrendered its Charter.
1904
12 initiates presented a banner to the Lodge, as “an expression of the great pleasure they felt in having been initiated into Masonry, and especially in becoming Members of the Anglo-American Lodge.
1908
On Tuesday, March 24th, the first Ladies Festival was held after the 21st Anniversary Meeting of the Lodge. 120 were present.
1912
Anglo-American Lodge Masonic Charities Association formed.
1913
Installation moved to October meeting.
1917
Petition to form a new Royal Arch Chapter was signed, approved and the Chapter consecrated.
1918
Warrant for a Lodge of Instruction applied for and granted.
1919
AA Lodge approved and recommended Petition to the Grand Master for a Warrant to found New Era Lodge, No. 4057. Subsequently, two Grand Daughter Lodges were founded, Motspur No. 6106 (1945) , and Venture Ad Astra No. 8069 (1965).
1923
Anglo-American Lodge became a Hall Stone Lodge of the Masonic Million Memorial Fund.
1930
The Lodge moved to the Café Royal, and became a Patron of Freemason’s Hospital, having become a Founding Lodge in 1921.
1937
Tuesday March 16th was the 50th Jubilee Meeting of the Lodge. Over 150 brethren were present, including some 80 visitors. Although a number of Americans were present, the greater number of the brethren were associated with the fruit markets of Covent Garden, Borough and Spitalfields. A full programme included the working of all three degrees.
1942
Lodge moved to Freemason’s Hall.
1943
There followed 45 years of Freemasonry, undistinguished, but sincere and heartfelt. The records show that many brethren were initiated, promoted and subsequently passed to the Grand Lodge above. As you will see from the example years below, they kept themselves busy.
1949
6 initiations, 5 passings, 5 raisings, 1 promotion to PAGSB, 2 reported deaths, and 1 distinguished overseas visitor from Australia.
1954
9 initiations, 6 passings, 4 raisings, 1 joining member, 1 promotion to PGStB, 1 reported death and 1 distinguished overseas visitor from California.
1959
Masonic regalia and £150, the proceeds from the sale of a motor car, were left to the Lodge by the late W Bro W Pitcher.
1967
The Worshipful Master Charles Hailey passed away. A special fund was organised in his memory, and £23.1.0d was distributed among the various Masonic Institutions, Anglo-American Lodge becoming a Patron Lodge of all the Institutions.
1987
Tuesday 24th March was the Centenary Meeting, attended by RW Bro Mr Registrar John Bradburn, JGW, W Bro H Cazenove, PDGDC, VW Bro Rev Neville Barker Cryer, RW Bro Cdr Michael Higham, Grand Secretary, W Bro John Yeo, AG Pursuivant.
What of the Future?
Since the Lodge Centenary in 1987, Anglo-American has, Like many lodges in London, and for that matter, across the world, been in gradual decline. There are probably many reasons, some avoidable, some not. The Lodge has an interesting history, but largely it has been an ordinary lodge, serving ordinary Freemasons for the past 117 years. The intention of the founders was to engender “ the bonds of Masonic Union existing between” GB & USA. But as we have seen, the Lodge has had little to do with the USA for many years.
True, we had a friendship with the Square & Compasses Club at the USAF base at Mildenhall some 10 years ago. A young American serviceman, Bob Tullgren, was a member for a few years in the 90’s, and we are twinned with Madison Lodge No 5, Wisconson. But by the 50th Jubilee “the greater number of the brethren were associated with the fruit markets of Covent Garden, Borough and Spitalfields”. By 1987, just before the Centenary, the largest grouping in the Lodge was British Transport Police.
Lodges change over the years, and inevitably some Lodges will survive and grow, and some will fail. The present membership of Anglo-American has committed to ensuring that this Lodge continues, hopefully regaining some of its former glory. In doing so, the nature of the Lodge will inevitably change.
There are many things we can and will do. We will try to revive the trans-Atlantic connections, but in the first instance we need joining members, so that we can build. There are many styles of masonry, and we don’t know where we will end up. But whatever Anglo-American Lodge becomes, we will have one aim in view, to please each other and unite in the grand design of being happy and communicating happiness.